Every angler should try fishing for pike at some point in their career because they’re one of the most ferocious fish you can do battle with and hauling in a good-sized pike can give a sense of achievement like very few other kinds of fish can. Pike are harder to catch than other fish, so it takes skill and the right kind of bait to ensure victory.
Finding the right bait for pikes can mean the difference between success and failure so you need to make sure that you’re using the right kind of lure. The lure you should be using depends on a range of factors from the time of years, the location, or even the time of day.
Some novices can find choosing the right lure for their situation a struggle because different lures are the right choice for different scenarios and finding the one for you can be very tricky.
Even seasoned anglers can become overwhelmed by the amount of choice on offer when it comes to different pike lures. This is because brands and manufacturers know how much anglers love to go after pike, and they all want a slice of the pie. This means that there it can often seem that there are lures as far as the eye can see when you first start looking for the perfect product for you.
One of the most important things to keep in mind when you’re thinking about buying some new lures is what you need them to do, and how effective they’ll be in the area you are fishing in. There’s no point in buying lures that are more suited for open water if there’s significant vegetation in your chosen spot and sorting out the lures that will suit you best can be a hard art to master.
Luckily for you, we’ve done all the hard work and put together this list of some of our favorite lures for pikes that are currently available, so that you can see the sort of thing that suits different situations.
This should give you some idea about the sort of thing that might suit you, and if that wasn’t enough we’ll even take you through some of the most important factors to think about before you choose a pike lure.
Top 5 Best Lures for the Pike
OUR TOP PICK
RUNCL Topwater Frog Anchor Box Lures For Pike
TB Tbuymax 10pcs Fishing Baits Kit Lures For Pike
FREE FISHER 6 Fishing Hard Spinner Lures For Pike
OUR TOP PICK
RUNCL Topwater Frog Anchor Box Lures For Pike
First up we have this option from RUNCL that’s proven to be very popular with anglers of all skill levels and abilities and may just be what you’re looking for if you want a realistic lure that will trigger the pike’s natural instincts to strike.
This frog lure option comes in a multipack and they’re an excellent value option for those who are tired of losing lures while out n the water, or of buying expensive lures only to not get the use out of them when the fish don’t bite.
This is an affordable option that has such a realistic swimming action that it’s no surprise that even seasoned anglers will be surprised by how effective their trips become with this option ready to entice the pike out of hiding.
The design incorporates realistic eyes to complete the illusion that this is a real frog, and when it sits on top of the water, you’ll be surprised by how hard it is to tell the difference.
The PVC construction keeps this option environmentally friendly and this is a good solution to any anglers who are struggling with weeds while out on the water, as their innovative design means that the angles have been set in such a way to prevent tangles with weeds or lines.
This makes it much easier for novice anglers to focus on their technique and getting the best catch they possibly can without worrying about what their lure is doing. The lures included range from 2" to 2 3/4" long, 3 out of the 5 in this set is about 2 1/4 in long and your purchase comes included with a high-density box to keep them in and travel around with, so you can keep your gear safe even while hiking from location to location.
This is a great option for anglers of all skill levels and the lures themselves are well-constructed and durable but at a sensible enough price point that any you do lose are both easy to replace and ultimately worth it for their effectiveness.
- Durable and well-designed
- Won’t get tangled in weeds
- Come in a range of colors and sizes
- Very effective
- Includes carry box
- May have an annoying plastic smell on arrival, but this will fade with use and can be eased with washing in soapy water
- Lifelike Design: High-resolution body detail, life-like 3D eyes and almost real swimming actions, flawlessly replicates an actual frog or bullfrog, help anglers attract a bigger catch
- Excellent PVC: The frog lures are produced with environmentally friendly PVC with amazing deliciousness, imitates the taste of an actual frog, hinders the fishing hook from getting spitted
- Perfect Angle Sitting: The core of gravity for RUNCL frog lures are constantly checked to ensure best angle sitting inside the water, helps with the success of hook up
- Weedless Design: With hooks embedded into the belly of the frogs, helps to expose the hooks better when the fish strikes, and no concern whatsoever about hanging up by lily pads or weed beds
- Special Combination: The completely unique fishing tackle box in the marketplace is equipped with 5 different types of frog lures, perfect for all sorts of complicated fishing conditions
TB Tbuymax 10pcs Fishing Baits Kit Lures For Pike
This is another effective option that is a great option for those more seasoned anglers looking for their next big adventure if that adventure involves catching lots of large pikes.
This is a slightly heavier and larger option than a lot of other similar products on the market because it’s designed for those who want the big fish. Beginners may find this option a giant step up in their education, but they may lack the technique necessary to bring the pike home.
Only you know if you’re ready for large pike or not, but these lures will certainly bring the big boys out to play and they can’t be faulted for their effectiveness. This 10 pcs option is another one that’s great value as there should be enough lures for it not to matter too much if you lose a few, and you should quickly find which ones are most effective for your location.
This option comes with 2 tackle boxes for your convenience and both are well made and durable enough to keep your tackle safe wherever you’re going. The inclusion of the premium quality blade means that the lures are always moving and flashing while they’re in the water and are pretty certain to attract the attention of your chosen prey.
The sharp treble hooks mean that once your fish has bitten they’re guaranteed to stay on the end of your line, but as these lures mean you can go after the larger pike species like Northern Pike, don’t think this means they’ll come in without a fight.
The wide range of colors included in this multipack mean that there’s an excellent chance you’re going to find something that the fish, and you, will love. The lures are fairly robust, and they’re a great option for most anglers looking for an adventure
- Great for the larger pike species
- sharp treble hooks to keep your catch on the end your line while you do battle
- Two carrying cases with individual pegs to stop lures from rattling in transit
- Durable and well-constructed
- Brightly colored and sure to catch the attention
- Rooster tails may get damaged quicker than other options included
- Large size fishing lures set: 2.5’’- 3’’ / Heavy weighted body: 0.25 - 0.28 oz / larger and heavier design to catch big fish
- Each trout lures comes with a sharp treble hooks with brightly colored strike-attractor sleeves
- The packing box makes you more convenient to use and restock. Rooster tail fishing lures is both for Freshwater and Saltwater
- Premium quality blade provides continuous flash and vibration. They are designed for bass fishing and trout fishing, named bass lures and trout lures as well
- Deadly on Bass, Trout, Walleye, Northern Pike and Salmon
FREE FISHER 6 Fishing Hard Spinner Lures For Pike
If you enjoy using spinnerbaits than we may have just the thing you’ve been looking for. This highly effective option comes in a pack of 6 and weighs around 18 grams.
Free Fisher has designed this versatile lure to be used for pike and bass so if you’re looking for something that can come on a variety of fishing trips than this might be just what you’ve been looking for. The brightly colored design helps to make this option very effective especially when used in combination with the excellent movement that spinnerbaits generally give anglers.
This option produces enough movement and color to attract a range of fish, and regardless of what sort of size prey you’re after these will help you find it. If you’re an enthusiastic amateur angler than these affordably priced and very effective lures may be just up your alley. This is a great value item particularly as you get 6 lures included which give you a nice range to try out and work out which are most effective in your chosen location on your chosen fish.
Another bonus bout this option is that the price means that losing lures to snags or vegetation isn’t so much of a big deal. Losing lures when you’ve paid a significant amount for them individually can be very disheartening for beginners especially if you didn’t catch very much.
This option is an affordable and effective product that will suit beginners or enthusiastic weekend anglers who are looking for a solid product that can be easily replaced if lost or damaged.
- Brightly colored
- Versatile and can be used for bass and pike
- Robust and well-constructed
- Affordable and multi-pack
- Great for weekend anglers or beginners
- Could include a carry box
- Each Spinnerbait Weight:17.5g/0.62oz.Length:3.15"-4.72"Diving Depth: Whole swimming layer.
- Comes with a high Carbon Steel Razor Sharp Treble Hooks(4#),Great for Bass, Trout, Walleye, Northern Pike and Salmon.
- Most anglers retrieve spinnerbaits shallow, these lures can be very effective when crawled across the bottom, and fished in a slow , deep, lift and drop manner
- The Spinners Fishing Lure, Premium quality blade provides continuous flash and vibration. Are designed for bass fishing and trout fishing, named bass lures and trout lures as well
- Package include:6pcs spinnerbaits in different colors;Fisherman gifts for men;spinner baits for bass fishing;large mouth bass lures
Lixada Fishing Lures For Pike
A lure designed specifically with pike in mind, this option comes in a variety of different styles and colors making it perfect for those who like to have a little bit more control over the lure they’re using for optimized results out on the water.
Made from ABS plastic this realistic option is designed to last, and if used and maintained correctly it could be a great lure that you use for many years. Beginners who are looking to invest some time and care into their equipment may want to look at this one as a lure that they could grow on as it could be used from a variety of different skill levels, and if you want something that will at least get you a bite than this might be just what you’re looking for even if you don’t manage to haul in your prize.
This option has been split into 8 different segments which help to give it a real action in the water, there is a wide choice of colors available and you can pick what will work best in the kind of water body you use. The combination of color and action in the water makes it a highly effective option and the 2 treble hooks mean that any pike that chooses to have a nibble will be pretty securely fixed on the other end of your line.
Lixada has included some spectacular body detail which really pushes the realism of this option and the 3D eyes mean that while this lure is out on the water it’s difficult to tell it apart from the actual wildlife.
- 3d eyes and body detail make a deceptively realistic option
- Great for all skill levels
- Realistic movement on the water thanks to the segmented body
- 2 treble hooks for a secure hold over your catch
- Durable and robust enough to deal with any knocks
- The nose is a little heavier than needed
- 3D lifelike eyes. High resolution body detail.
- Smooth and rapid diving action. Life-like swimming actions in water to provoke predator to bite.
- Durable ABS material contributing to long service life.
- Specially for pike and muskie, wonderful tool for fishing lovers.
LIVE TARGET Livetarget Hollow Body Frog Lures For Pike
Let’s finish up as we started with another great frog lure that’s highly effective and available in a multipack with 12 different color options so that you can find the best choice for your specific water body.
This is a highly effective lure that the pike love to nibble on with a soft body that hides the sharp hooks to snare your pike, and the lures are all superbly detailed and realistic with impressive action and movement in the water to entice the pike to bit and impale itself on the hooks.
This is another good option for those who habitually fish around weeds and may lose a lot of lures to vegetation. The inclusion of LED lights to help get the pike's attention is an excellent detail that works very well out on the water. All the lures are durable and robust, while the design and construction high quality enough to ensure that the lures should last several years provided you don’t lose them.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced angler there’ll be something that you’ll love about this option. It’s well designed and durable and a great option for those who are struggling to catch anything in areas with a lot of weeds. This is a good choice for beginners in need in a little confidence booster or seasoned anglers looking for a lure they can rely on that won’t be very frustrating to lose.
- Excellent movement and action
- Robust and durable
- LED and realistic body detail make this a very effective option
- Good around weeds
- Sharp hooks under soft body
- Not the best with light line
- 2010 ICAST "Best of Show" Winner
- Amazing detail fools even the most wary fish
- Soft body construstion compresses to reveal ultra sharp hooks
- Koppers Frog Hollow Body 55 Emerald/Brown
- The hollow body Frog is the perfect choice for fishing over weed choked areas or lily pads
Best Lures for the Pike Buying Guide
Hopefully, now you’ve had a look at some of the different types of lures available, and have some idea about the kind of thing that might suit you and your fishing style. If you need some more help though, this section of the guide is here to take you through some of the most important features to look out for on a pike lure, so that you can find the most effective option for you.
At the end of the day what lure may be right for you is a matter of personal choice, so make sure you know at least what sort of environment you’re likely to be fishing in so that you end up with something that suits your conditions and needs.
Time Of Day
It may sound crazy, but the time of day that you’re fishing also determines what lure to use. Pike don’t like to eat in the dark, so early morning when the sun rises is a great time to go after them because they’re hungry. If you’re using big lures than going in the morning is the best plan as the lure is more noticeable among the calm waves which attract bigger fish.
After the morning pike tends to settle in weeded areas and trolling here is a good method, so make sure you use the right sort of lure and one suited to weeded areas. If you want a last go at a pike than a sunset is the last time the pike will feed before the morning.
Make sure your lure can be used with a strong line, and braided is even better. Pike grow to large sizes and are aggressive fish anyway so you need your lure to be able to be used with strong and braided line to have a hope of reeling them in.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the same lure again?
Depending on the lure, and as long as you don’t lose it to the deep then you can certainly reuse lures. Make sure that it’s durable enough to survive any bumps and scrapes, and as long as it’s not damaged than have at it. Check your lure each time you use it though,
What size bait should I use?
The size of your lure depends on the size of the pike you’re going after. Smaller pikes like the ones that hide out in shallow water with lots of vegetation will need a topwater or smaller lure than anything you’d use effectively on open or deeper water.